17.7.16

Sentimental Farts..

 UK 2011
US 2016

I have found that no matter where you are in the world there are always similarities to be found in the urban landscape. Take these two images for example. The top one from my Flowery Room series is the view from my childhood bedroom with the bottom image being my view from my bedroom in the America. Ok, they are not the same, but there are similar patterns, in particular the street lighting.

I am reminded of how powerful photography can be as a trigger for memory (something I touched on in my MA thesis which the tutors did not like because they were institutionlised and useless). Looking at my Flowery Room project now, I feel very different about the images than I did at the time of shooting. Its wonderful looking back on them and the project has done what I hoped it would. 

As I get older and more sentimental, its not the recent things I miss, its the old childhood things. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, these never change..


No comments: