7.5.11

DONE WITH DECAY.


Paper Factory. Rijeka 2010

A good friend and fellow photographer once said to me; "A photograph should be about something and not just of something." We were talking about the current trend and fascination with photography decay in the form of knackered old buildings and haunted loony bins which are now called hospitals. We came to the conclusion that most people photograph decaying places with no real reason, and while I see no problem with that (especially when I pretty much do it myself) it can create a body of work that is quite soulless, haunted or not. Once the photographer could make photographs of decay and be hailed a prodigy in the eyes of the public. But alas now everyone is at it and it all ends up looking the same. Of course there are exceptions but does anyone really care.

No more decay for me. It's stinky, its dangerous, and its everywhere..

No comments: