11.2.11

Everything is so nice and sweet here on B Mode, but sometimes I like to let off a little Doylee Steamage....

I mentioned Richard Nicholson's work here last week and his series of images on 'traditional darkrooms'. I have even put up a little video so you know all about it. But this rant is not about him or his very lovely photographic project. Oh no, this is about the Gallery (although its not a gallery its a run down hole) the work is been shown in. I hate the Riflemakers Gallery located somewhere in Soho in London. I hate its peeling paint and front door that always sticks. I hate its sloping floors and worn our stairs with an accident waiting to happen and its stupid low beams and locked doors around every turn. I thought I was in a squat was it not for the well dressed snooty staff who looked at me like I was going to hold them up at gun point, take their house keys, break in, use there toilet, produce a couple of malteasers and then not flush..

I do believe good work can be enhanced, and indeed should be with regards to exhibiting. But its also possible to degrade even the best material with silly ideas like fine prints pinned to wall and hanging from bulldog clips, cheap and nasty like an Iceland Party Platter.

Anyway that's it. Had to be said. The place stinks, literally...

No comments: