3.11.10

Mitch Dobrowner

I have known about the work of Mitch Dobrowner for a fair old time as we use to share the same gallery rep when I was living in the States.
I have been meaning to write about the work for a while now, but in all truthfulness I just don't know what to say about it. In fact I am not even sure if I like it. Sure its striking and very dramatic, but I cant help feeling its a lot of technique and very little content, and maybe a little too obvious, at least for me.
As is so often the case these days the luminosity of the image is lost in the final print, and as these tend to be Ink Jet, it doesn't really put the work on my collectors list.
When I first saw Dobrowner's work I was a little dumbstruck as I had never seen a technique quite like it. I just couldn't work out how he had achieved these surreal results, but I did know it wasn't film based. And there lies the problem. Once you discover how it was done, (read the article) it takes away any mystery that was left.

The art critique Brian Sewell once said (cant remember whose work it was);
"It's like an ejaculation. Your excited at first, there's a climax, and then you loose interest."
And that pretty much sums up how I feel about the work..

There's an interesting interview with Mitch here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always really enjoyed the work of Mitch Dobrowner. Haven't seen anything like it before and seems totally original in this world of copycats and plagerists.

You sure sound a bit high on your horse. Maybe you should get out and shoot a bit more instead of spending/wasting your time blogging.

marcus doyle said...

I too have not seen anything like Mitch Dobrowner's work and think he is an excellent photographer with a technical prowess I will never have.

All I have done is given my own personal view of how I feel regarding the work and have the utmost respect for Mitch Dobrowner. There's no getting on a high horse here!

I have eight galleries representing me and if I am not out shooting I am printing, lecturing or planning new projects.

So don't tell me I should be out shooting or wasting my time blogging which takes up about an hour a week.

You cock!

mark page said...

Don't you just hate weasels who sign things Anonymous? How you doing big fella? Hope alls well.

marcus doyle said...

Mark,
Weasels they are. Always a few lurking about...

All good here. Still cracking on with the Coastal Project.

Trust you are well and keeping your head above water.
M

Nolan Green said...

After being interested in his work, I did a little research to see how he made his photographs and was severely disappointed when I learned it was digital. I'm currently trying to produce something along the lines of his work with analogue techniques.

Anonymous said...

It does not matter if it is digital, silver, or lipstick, it is the performance..the delivery..the emotion of ones own personal experience..tecknique is important, great photographs are seen in the artist mind, if one completes that vision, digitally, who cares, as long as he feels the score comes alive in the final print.
love your fellow artist..

Anonymous said...

@ Nolan.
"After being interested in his work, I did a little research to see how he made his photographs and was severely disappointed when I learned it was digital. I'm currently trying to produce something along the lines of his work with analogue techniques."

So you rap the artist and then go copy his work. Nice. Where I come from that = a loser.

Maybe you should post your work?