18.12.09

WHITEOUT...

Sitting here tonight in my undies with the heating way up. I wonder how many people got up in the early hours this morning and headed out in their best boots and long johns to photograph something snowy. Naturally I found myself trudging through the snow wrapped up like a pass- the- parcel leaving size twelve footprints like a giant winter rabbit. A magical experience it has to be said apart from thinking I had frostbite on the back of my hand which turned out to be the smudges of a red felt tip pen.

I have always liked the way weather can chance common scenes into something quite special be it light, fog, or in this mornings case snow. Natures big white blanket is always good for 'simplifying' the landscape, although one shouldn't get carried away and get all chocolate box/picture postcard. What I find most fasinating with snow is the way it changes the light around you, a bit like a big reflector (taking care not to under expose a scene as a camera meter will over compensate and make it grey, but we all know that). Night shots look particularly spooky, but again its all to easy to get carried away and over shoot just because its a bit different. Its times like this when I find large format the only way to go. Taking a limited number of dark slides makes sure I think about what I am about to shoot. Something which seems to be a bit of a rarity these days.
May be will publish what I shot here, or may be I will just think about it and perhaps put on some clothes and make a giant snow rabbit in the garden....

No comments: