15.8.09

Eugene Richards.



I have always known about the photographer Eugene Richards but it was not until recently that I discovered his The Blue Room project which you can see here on Foto8 along with an excellent commentary. This body of work (which I believe is his first all colour project) is remarkable and I cannot remember the last time I seen such a fine example of a photography project. The project reminds me of my own Salton Sea series, but what makes this project special is that Richards is able to tell us about these images and has took the trouble to find out in detail why it is what it is rather than just producing beautiful images that show the beauty in decay like I did (not that there's anything wrong with that mind you). Its Quiet, moving, respectful (unlike images of New Orleans by lesser photographers), sometimes tragic and beautiful shot.
For me its everything photography should be.

No comments: