9.6.08

Oh Mann



I have always admired the work of Sally Mann. Both her early work, mostly of her children, and her later landscape images have often been inspiring.. Thanks to the joys of Youtube there is a nice little clip of her right here struggling with a camera the size of a rubble skip. What made me chuckle (you may too if you watch) is when after placing one hand over the lens and using her head to stop the camera from moving while she pulls the dark slide, she says; "There must be an easier way than this.." To which I replied (in my mind) "Yes, get yourself a lens cap". Just watch and you will see what I mean...
The reason I find clips like these so inspiring is because it just goes to show that its all about the way you see things, and not how technically efficient you are with a camera. As long as you can capture what you see then who cares what exposure time and aperture you used. Nothing worse than a photograph with the caption f22 @ 125th of a second....Yawn.....
There is also an excellent interview on the Charlie Rose show which can be found along with the Youtube link.

No comments: