16.4.08

Why oh why......

Every time I venture out with my camera I constantly ask myself 'why, oh why, am I lugging this piece of furniture up mountains, across rivers and into the abyss....' Sometimes (in fact most of the time) I feel like I am fighting with nature, be it the wind (big problem) the rain (not so bad), the heat (bit sticky), the cold (easy), or the odd hoodie (depends how many...)
Its only when I get those big lovely negs back from the lab that it all makes sense. The tonal qualities, the colour saturation, the detail etc...
What I do find strange is that although I am led to believe there are hundreds of people out there making pictures supposedly with large format cameras (if you believe the forums) why then do I never see them.. Maybe its the simple fact that I am just too dam original (I jest), or maybe they are all just too sensible. I mean who in there right mind would venture up the side of volcanic crater in 120 degree heat with sixty pounds of gear on there back. (nice shot though)

Large format is a love hate thing for me with regards to the above statements and there are times when I have thrown dark slides across the mighty plain in sheer frustration and anger, or as I like to call it 'Passion'. But, I imagine if it was all that easy everyone would be doing it which according to my extensive travels they are not....
Now excuse me while I go and pump some iron.

No comments: